About this mail art blog

This mail art blog re-circulates Ray Johnson's Follow Instructions Below. Originally published in the November 1971 issue of Arts Magazine, it was a "mailing event" cleverly devised by the artist in which recipients are asked to alter or add to a photocopy of Rimbaud.



January 12, 2010

From: Anonymous


Here's the story behind this contribution: When I opened the envelope and was greeted by "Barbarella Face," I immediately realized that either this artist did not understand the project or s/he totally out Ray Johnson-ed Ray Johnson by deciding to throw Rimbaud completely out of the equation and appropriate Johnson's characteristic "bunny" cartoon (as seen on this blog in Follow Below Instructions).

It turns out it was indeed an accident -- but sometimes accidents are the best art. Even though I gave the artist another chance to actually follow the instructions and use the photocopy of Rimbaud, I decided to post this submission because 1. it cracks me up and 2. this artist says I look like Barbarella, so it is a portrait of myself as a Johnson "bunny" cartoon and 3. who can resist that face?!

No comments:

Post a Comment